No, I’m not a vegan…
but I do follow a mostly plant-based diet and only occasionally eat animal foods.
PLUS i found this amaaaaazing coconut bacon (!!) at The Fresh Market that I immediately had to try in a recipe. I finished working out and was pretty exhausted, and wanted to make dinner in a flash. I pulled together some quinoa I had in the cabinet and cooked it, sautéed some spinach and baby bella mushrooms seasoned with some garlic salt and pepper, and topped it off with some food-gasmic pesto sauce and coconut bacon. And what did it get me? HEAVEN IN MAH MOUTH. Yes, this recipe is gluten free AND vegan, but that is also just because I lacked any animal proteins to add to the recipe (and I personally choose not to eat pork). These little coconut bacon bits are soo delicious! They’re perfect sprinkled on pasta, stir fries, salads, or even just thrown into your mouth as a perfect bite size snack (and there’s only 25 calories per 2 TBSP!).
Low in fat, calories, sodium, and sugar, this protein-rich meal was only made in 15 MINUTES! So. so. easy. and freakin’ DELICIOUS! This is probably going to be my newest obsession when it comes to weeknight dinners.(pssst: these pictures are not the greatest, I know…I had a hard time shooting in low light/artificial light and unfortunately had no time to make this during the day)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups spinach
- ½ cup chopped bella mushrooms
- 3 TBSP coconut bacon
- 1 TBSP pesto
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Fill medium sized pot with quinoa and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 mins covered or until all water has been absorbed.
- While quinoa is finishing cooking, add olive oil to a medium sized pan with spinach and mushrooms.
- Season spinach and mushrooms as desired and sauté for ~8 minutes or until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are cooked through.
- Add ½ cup quinoa to a bowl, top with spinach and mushroom mix.
- Finish by adding dollop of pesto and sprinkling coconut bacon on top.
**all fat is from healthy fats from the coconut and olive oil