Cheesy Zucchini Fritters
Lately I have been SO TIRED. Likely due to my busy work schedule and kickin’ ass at the gym, but I’ve just been dreaming of plopping onto a huge bed of fluffy cloud-like pillows and sleeping for a whole day. Ahhh wouldn’t that would be nice… So as far as cooking goes, that’s been on the down burner. For breakfast and lunch it’s easy because I just make oatmeal with fruit and nut butter or green smoothies like this delicious one, but when it comes to dinner, man oh man do I not feel like cooking. I get home at 7:15 on Tuesdays after 10 hours of work, so the LAST thing I want to do is have to cook dinner for 30 minutes or spend money on takeout. I want something delicious, hot, healthy, and cheap.
When this happens, it’s great to have easy 5-10 minute recipes on hand so I don’t end up snacking and eating unhealthily just because I’m starving/ inpatient/exhausted. As far as these little zucchini fritters go, they taste like heaven! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and full of cheesy goodness, they also give you a serving of veggies in each one! You can’t beat that. Prepare multiple onces at once when you have time and then you can have them on hand for a quick snack, lunch, or dinner. But, they only take 5 minutes to throw together so you can make them in an instant as well!
They taste even better dipped in a little bit of ketchup. 😉
- 1 large zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1 handful spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour (Cup4Cup is a great brand)
- ¼ cup low-fat cheese of choice (parmesan or mozzarella work great)
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, slice and chop zucchini into small pieces and place into a strainer.
- Add ½ tsp salt and mix.
- Let zucchini sit for a few minutes as you prepare other ingredients.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl or cup and set aside.
- Mince garlic, add to a medium sized bowl.
- Add flour, oil, spinach, egg, cheese, and salt and pepper to bowl.
- Mix in zucchini and combine well.
- Spray a medium sized skillet with non-stick cooking spray and set to medium heat.
- Scoop out ⅓ of batter and pan fry for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Do for the remaining 2 fritters.
- Serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Zucchinis are packed with fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C and 1 medium only has about 31 calories!
These are simply SOO easy to make. Just keep 1 or 2 zucchinis in the fridge (they keep for a while) and you can make these whenever you need to! I always keep eggs and flour on hand, so you don’t need to buy any crazy ingredients. Just add seasonings, a little cheese or spinach if you have any, and viola!
Any other delicious add-ins could be: tomatoes, kale, onions, mozzarella, mushrooms, etc. Get creative! This is just one more (yummy) way to get in more veggies during your day. Remember, the goal (for most women and men) is to eat AT LEAST 2 1/2 – 3 cups of vegetables per day.