Giving up sugar is HARD.
I mean….no chocolate, no cupcakes, no sweetened coffee, no sugary yogurts, those are my go-tos in life!
However, it needs to be done for my body+mind. I have never been successful completely “giving up” anything, but this Lent is my time to detox my body from the toxic effects of sugar. I already eat a very clean, wholesome diet filled with nutrition, but my weakness is definitely sugar. Even in the forms of “healthier” sugars, per say, like agave nectar, vegan cookie dough, or protein-packed yogurts. Sugar is sugar. So how do I fight the cravings?
With these delicious babies:
- Serves: 21
- Serving size: 1 bite
- Calories: 102
- 8 pitted dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ½ cup (gluten free) oats
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- ½ cup raw cacao nibs
- ⅛ cup "Decadent Blend" Flax, Chia, Coconut, and Cocoa powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk (add in more if needed)
- 6 TBSP egg whites (or start pouring in mixture until perfect consistency is achieved)
- 1 TBSP rum or bourbon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor, blend together dates, almonds, oats, cinnamon, vanilla, cacao, and milk, blending until it is too thick to blend anymore.
- Gradually add in egg whites and continue blending.
- Once mixture has reached a good consistency, thick but not too thick, stop blending.
- Spray a small muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a spoon, scoop out golf-ball sized globs of dough and place in muffin tin, filling completely.
- Once tin is filled, using wax or parchment paper, place a large sheet over top and smooth/flatten out tops of cookies.
- Remove parchment paper and clean/scrape off sides with a knife.
- Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean from inside cookies.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.