Time for cooler weather, flannels, knee-high boots, campfires, leaves changing colors, and most importantly: PUMPKIN! As we all know with the infamous Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, we <3 our pumpkin flavored treats. I wanted to make my favorite pumpkin-y, fall recipe so I made my Creamy Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal for the first official day of Autumn. The recipe is easy and simple and I used gluten free oats to make sure it was gluten free 🙂 (psst I actually made this for dinner after a long day of work since I was exhausted and craving something warm and comforting)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup (gluten free or regular) rolled oats
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any other milk you prefer)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (I used the saigon kind–it has a Mexican spicy kick to it!)
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 TBSP maple syrup (I used sugar free maple syrup) ** or substitute agave nectar or honey (non-vegan)
- 1 TBSP ground flax
- handful of walnuts (for topping)
- handful of raw pumpkin seeds (for topping)
- Any other additions you may like (raisins, chia, stevia, etc.)
- Get a medium size stovetop pot and add 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of milk. Turn to high heat and let it get to boiling. Once it is boiling, turn it down to simmer and continue to stir for 5-8 minutes or until the oats soak up all the liquid. This is the time to add the flaxseed if you so desire. Add a little more water or milk if you want it creamier.
- Now add pumpkin, vanilla, syrup, and spices and stir for another minute til mixed well.
- Once mixed well, let cool before serving in dish. Top with crushed walnut and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
*I added a tiny bit of sea salt just to give it a little more flavor so it wasn’t too sweet. This was definitely a warm and comforting meal to celebrate the first night of fall! I can’t wait to make a big batch of this to keep in the fridge for quick, delicious healthy breakfasts on the go.
Enjoy Pumpkin Season! <3