I am officially a working woman!
As some of you probably know, I accepted a full-time position with Athens Clarke County’s Public Health Dept. working as a Nutritionist for WIC (Women, Infants and Children). If you do not know much about what WIC is, I definitely recommend checking out what it entails because it really is a great government program I highly believe in. WIC offers free nutrition counseling, breastfeeding education, and food vouchers for pregnant and postpartum women, and their infants and children up to age 5 for those who are low-income and under the average poverty line. (Read more about it here) I have always had a passion for helping teach nutrition basics to those that are lower-income and helping those that don’t have the funds or education to know that eating healthy is very achievable. I have been training the past week and have learned a lot. WIC is one of the few jobs a dietetics grad can get without having an RD license (which is what I am aiming towards in the future, obvi) This work experience will be great for the next year or two (or more..who knows!) to get that dietetic internship. I still have much more learning to go but I love it so far!
The basics of my job include:
- Seeing clients and consulting them on their diet and nutrition habits and why it is important for them and their family. Tracking weight, height, and hemoglobin (iron) levels to see if they are at nutritional risk.
- Explaining WIC as a whole, promoting breastfeeding as the healthiest nutrition choice for both mom and baby, and answering questions related to pregnancy.
- Switching food packages and issuing vouchers.
- Teaching group classes for low-risk nutrition education and individual nutrition counseling for high-risk nutrition ed.
- Helping client’s come up with a S.M.A.R.T. goal they want to work on/achieve by their next visit.
- Treating everyone from different races, ethnicity, and backgrounds with overall respect.
**I ordered some cute scrubs online, can’t wait to feel like a real nutritionist!! I have my own office too which is great:
It’s going to be a fun and exciting first “real” job.
- Finally tried making some overnight chia oats. I added 1 TBSP chia seeds, 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a handful of blackberries, and a packet of oats I had on hand. I shook it all up in a jar and refrigerated it overnight. It turned out great in the morning! I ate some of it cold but decided I simply cannot eat oats cold so I heated them up, added some raw almonds, and it was delicious! Definitely an easy breakfast to make at night so you can wake up and have breakfast already ready.
- Cottage cheese (2% fat) with sliced peach and raw almonds. SO GOOD! I had slept in this morning til about 11:30 so this was more of a brunch for me. It definitely satisfied.
- A easy weeknight dinner I made that I cooked extra for leftovers at work the next day. I call this the “Goodness Bowl” and simply add whatever sautéed veggies I want to a big batch of quinoa. This time I cooked broccoli, red pepper, onion, mushrooms, and green beans and added it to a little buttered quinoa (yummmm). This meal is perfect of lunch or dinner, is filling, and has tons of protein and cancer-fighting properties! Definitely one of my go-tos. I ate this one after a great long run.
- This weekend was my boyfriend and I’s one year anniversary! We celebrated with a wonderful dinner out at the nicest restaurant in Athens, 5&10. (I HIGHLY recommend this place if you are ever in Athens!!) We split a nice bottle of red wine, he got a caesar salad, I got a mixed greens salad with apple, walnuts, blue cheese, and a sherry vinaigrette. We then split the “UGA Black Sturgeon” for the entree. I had never heard of a sturgeon before but it was a delicious thick, oily fish comparable to salmon with a milder taste. It came with peppers, arugula, and some sort of amazing sauce. Splitting it was the perfect way to not overeat and save some money as well. It was a lovely night!! <3
(sorry for the low quality pics)
Now cue sappy collage from when I met Nate til now <3 ….
Have a beautiful week everyone!!
*(Psssst!) ~I got a “Veggetti” in the mail on Friday and cannot wait to use it! So be on the look out for my Zucchini Pasta recipe coming up soon!! 🙂