Besides zucchini noodles, I don’t really have any other way I prepare zucchini regularly. BUT, this recipe is a game changer and is definitely going to become a regular, as my boyfriend even loved them! For all the fellow veg lovers out there, this one is for you! Spaghetti and meatballs, without the meat.
Tasty, cheesy, and flavorful, just the way they should be.
I made these gluten free by simply using certified GF breadcrumbs. Don’t need them to be GF? Simply use regular breadcrumbs, extra points for finding 100% whole-wheat ones!
The egg and breadcrumbs bind these nuggets of goodness together.
Serves: 1 dozen
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 2 cloves garlic, minces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup GF breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan (can substitute mozzarella!)
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 TBSP olive oil, for frying
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Grate and shred zucchini into a kitchen towel lined bowl. Squeeze zucchini to remove excess water.
- Place zucchini back in bowl and add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and marinara sauce.
- Mix until dough forms. Form into about 1 dozen small meatballs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add meatballs and fry on all sides until brown and heated through, ~8 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from skillet, wipe skillet clean, and add marinara sauce back to skillet.
- Add meatballs to pasta sauce and continue to heat for a few minutes until sauce is heated through.
- Enjoy! Serve with a small serving of brown rice of 100% whole-wheat spaghetti if desired.
These were gone in a day. SO delicious and the perfect way to use my new cast iron skillet for the first time. ðŸ˜‰ My move to South Florida went well and I am loving it! Happy Tuesday XO