It’s finally December! Where the heck did the time go?!
If you’re like me, you’re already ready for everything peppermint, watching Elf 238627834 times, and decorating everything in gorgeous Christmas lights/colors/scents/patterns, etc…
This year’s Christmas is going to be a bit different for me! I’m working on Christmas Eve (thats a first) as well as flying out on Christmas Eve to….CANCUN(!!!!) to spend a few days on vacation in Mexico with my boyfriend and his family. To say I’m more than excited is an understatement. So, to get all my holiday christmas-y spirit in before I’m on the beach, I went ahead and made a new recipe I adapted from Tasty-Yummies. Please check out her original recipe, it’s awesome! I love how she used spinach (secret ingredient 😉 I SWEAR you’d never guess though! My brother was shocked when I told him and continued to eat up the pie). The spinach aids in the gorgeous green color and also adds a little veggie punch without the taste! This dessert is raw, vegan, and gluten free, but tastes like the most decadent thing in the world.
I seriously could not love this dessert any more. I ate like a billion pieces already after making it. It’s so flavorful, decadent, and made with all sorts of healthy, vibrant ingredients that make your body just feel GOOOD. No crap. No additives. No chemicals. Just real, living, nutritious ingredients. There are plenty of HEALTHY fats in this recipe, but they are all unsaturated, heart health fats from the nuts/dates/etc. Try it out, you seriously won’t be disappointed. The dense, sugary crust pairs perfectly with the soft, pepperminty chocolate filling.
IM ADDICTED, YALL!
The best part about this dessert is its so easy to make. No baking! All you need is a food processor to blend all the ingredients together. You simply freeze it and let it set and it’s ready! You can store in the fridge or freezer. I prefer mine frozen, tastes like mint chocolate icrecream. YUM. Let it sit out for 5-10 minutes prior to eating to let it soften a bit.
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1/12 of pie
- Calories: 385
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Unsaturated fat: 18g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 199mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- 1½ cups almond flour (or soaked raw nuts of choice)
- 2 TBSP ground flax (optional)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ⅛ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup mulberries
- 2½ cups raw soaked walnuts (or nut of choice, i.e. cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, etc.)
- ***soak overnight covered in water or at least 1-2 hours
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (liquid)
- ⅛ cup agave syrup
- 4-6 TBSP water (more if too thick)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- ¼ cup vegan mini chocolate chips (I used Carob chips)
- *handful of raw cacao nibs and extra vegan choc chips for garnish
- In a large food processor, blend all crust ingredients together except for dates until it reaches an almost flour-like consistency.
- Add in dates and continue to blend until a gooeier texture is made. (It will feel dry and flaky somewhat, but this is what you want.)
- Line a springform round 9" pan with parchment paper.
- Add crust dough to pan and press into pan, covering completely.
- Once crust is formed, add to freezer to set until ready to fill.
- Clean out food processor to get ready for next batch.
- Drain soaked nuts and add to food processor.
- Add in agave, water, salt, cacao powder, mint, spinach, vanilla and peppermint extracts, and blend well.
- Add in liquid coconut oil and chocolate chips last and blend completely.
- Once it reaches a completely blended soft consistency, spoon into crust.
- Smooth out top and cover in tin foil.
- Let set in freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Once removed from freezer, top with fresh cacao nibs and more chocolate chips if desired.
- Store in fridge or freezer, depending on desired consistency.
- Let sit out for 5-10 minutes to soften prior to eating and ENJOY! 🙂
original recipe here: http://tasty-yummies.com/2014/03/10/mint-chocolate-chip-cashew-cream-cake-gluten-free-vegan/
9" spring form pan
large food processor
This is especially perfect for your gluten or lactose intolerant friends. This one will be SURE to please them! It’s the most perfect combination that tastes like a mixture between a cookie/pie/icecream/brownie…It’s basically just the best dessert ever. Can y’all tell I love it?!