We aren’t the only ones that deserve delicious food!
I love dogs. I mean I adore all animals, but there’s never been a time in my life where I didn’t have a dog as a pet. I grew up with two beautiful yellow labs, and now have a sweet lab mix named Luna and my parents have another yellow lab named Nugget (so cute). Our pets deserve the best, and they deserve healthy foods too, to ensure a long and healthy life. Why not makeover some traditional store-bought treats and make your own healthy version at home? It’s simple to do thanks to a recipe from Ina Garten, aka Barefoot Contessa. My mom showed me this adorable recipe and we had to try it! And of course the ones who matter most are the doggies. And trust me, they LOVED these treats. They scarfed ’em down and were eager for more. This recipe is definitely dog-approved! Show your pup some love and make these easy treats for them. *original recipe here.
- 1½ cups stone-ground whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered milk
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats (not instant), plus a little extra for sprinkling
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 TBSP toasted wheat germ
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg beaten with 1 TBSP water, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the two flours, the powdered milk, oats, peanut butter, and wheat germ.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the egg and 1 cup of water just until it forms a slightly sticky ball.
- Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and knead it into a ball.
- Roll the dough out ½ in thick.
- Dip a dog-bone-shaped cookie cutter in flour and cut out shapes.
- Collect the scraps, knead lightly, roll out again, and cut out more dog biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared sheet pan and brush with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with oats and bake for 1 hour, until completely hard.
- Cool and toss!
Nugget already wants more:
Aren’t they adorable??