Ahh chicken tenders…every child’s go-to (and some adults too…no shame!). I haven’t eaten chicken in a looong time (not intentionally, just haven’t made it recently) and for some reason at the grocery store I saw some chicken tenders and the craving hit…I wanted something that tasted like fast food but more of a wholesome twist! Recently I stumbled upon a bag of chickpea breadcrumbs at my local Fresh Market and obviously had to get them, not knowing what I would do with them at that time, just knowing I would put them to good use at some point. And BOOM! They came in handy and made the most perfect coating for these crispy chicken tenders.
I wanted plenty of flavor to these chicken tenders, so I mixed in a heap of italian seasoning, paprika, garlic, onion powder, chili pepper powder, sea salt, and pepper. Feel free to add in or take away any seasonings and make this recipe your own!
The trick to get these super crispy? Bake at a higher temp (I did 400 degrees) and flip them halfway through. That way the sides get evenly brown and crispy and the middle stays tender and moist. Perfect!Print
These easy, crispy baked chicken tenders are covered in chickpea crumbs rather than breadcrumbs, for a delicious meal! They are the perfect blend of crispy, flavorful coating and a moist, delicious inside. A healthy yet tasty alternative to fast food. Pair with your favorite dipping sauce!
- 1 lb-1.5lb boneless chicken tenders
- 1–2 eggs
- 1.5 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup Chickpea breadcrumbs (Brand: Watusee Foods)
- 1/8 cup italian seasoning
- 1/8 cup garlic powder
- 1/8 cup onion powder
- 1/8 cup paprika
- dash of chili pepper
- sea salt
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs and milk.
- In another medium sized bowl, mix together chickpea crumbs and seasonings.
- Dip each chicken tender one by one into the egg mixture, then cover both sides with seasonings to coat. Place on baking dish. Repeat for each chicken tender.
- Spray top of chicken tenders with cooking spray, place in oven and cook for total of 20 minutes, flipping halfway through and spraying again with cooking spray. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
You can find these chickpea breadcrumbs easily online, or check your local grocery stores to see if they carry it! Not able to get these? Simply replace with whole grain breadcrumbs for another healthy fiber-rich alternative.
These chicken tenders are perfect for meal prepping. Make tons one evening and eat throughout the week! They are perfect paired with veggies, on top of a salad, or filled in a lettuce leaf for a lettuce wrap! Pair with dippings sauces too for an extra kick. My fave? I’m a ketchup girl, naturally.
These chicken tenders are packed with flavor, protein, and fiber. You can feel good about feeding these chicken tenders to your family in a flash rather than driving through the drive through. 😉