This quick & delicious pita flatbread is topped with a perfect combination of fresh figs from the garden, creamy goat cheese, crisp arugula, and warm caramelized onions. Can be made in just 30 minutes and your taste buds will be singing!
- 1 package of pita bread (I used B Free brand, worked great!)
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup fresh figs, sliced thin
- 2 large handfuls fresh arugula
- 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced and chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 1–2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary
- salt & pepper, to taste
- balsamic glaze, for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and set aside a baking sheet.
- Add chopped onion to a small saute pan with 1 tsp butter. Season with salt and cook to caramelize for about 20-30 minutes on medium low heat, tossing every few minutes.
- While onions are caramelizing, assemble flatbreads.
- Add flatbreads to baking sheet. Top each with a drizzle of olive oil, a handful of sliced figs, arugula, rosemary, and crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Once onions are done caramelizing, top each flatbread with desired amount of onions.
- Place baking sheet with flatbreads in heated oven and bake for ~15 minutes or until edges are crispy.
- Remove from oven, top with extra fresh arugula, and drizzle with balsamic glaze (Trader Joe’s makes a great one).
- Cut flatbreads into slices and enjoy immediately!
Feel free to use this recipe with any type of pizza dough, however cooking times may vary.