Flavor-Packed Dehydrated Portobella Mushroom Jerky
My husband and I received a dehydrator as one of our wedding gifts, and we finally have been trying it out! Since my husband is a deer hunter, we figured a dehydrator would be a fun way to put all of the meat in our freezer to good use-who doesn’t love jerky? I also wanted to try out a plant-based jerky using portobella mushrooms, and it is to die for! I first tried mushroom jerky by a brand called Pan’s, and let me tell you…I fell in LOVE with that jerky. I could eat them by the bag-full. But the pricetag is just too high unfortunately at about $10 per small bag (aka one serving for me). So instead, I wanted to try making it myself! And it turned out absolutely perfect.
Chewy, flavorful, delicious, and super easy to make with a dehydrator! Tangy portobella mushroom jerky. Plant-based and packed with umami!
- 12 ounces portobella mushrooms, (2 6oz packages), cut into slices
- 3–4 TBSP avocado oil
- 3–4 TBSP Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 TBSP+ sesame oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cayenne
- In a large ziploc bag, add sliced portobella mushrooms and add all remaining ingredients with mushrooms into bag. Mix well to ensure all mushrooms are covered evenly. Let sit in fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 8 hours to marinate.
- Heat dehydrator to 145 degrees. Add marinated mushrooms to dehydrator trays, placed evenly, and dry for 4-6 hours or until desired texture is reached.
- Enjoy! Store in an airtight container at room temp.