Warm, crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, flavorful, herby…
GLUTEN-FREE FOCACCIA BREAD!
Umm what? This recipe is literally too easy for how decadent and amazing it is. I’m telling ya…you can have this perfect gluten free loaf done in an hour. Easy.
I’ve always been intimidated by these fancy, perfect looking gluten free breads. I mean, I’ve never even made just a regular loaf of gluten free bread! But after finding this recipe from Gluten-Free Goddess, I had to try it. Why not? It’s a Saturday afternoon with zero work to do, and I feel like baking. So, let’s do this!
Now all I need is a vacay to Italy for some real italian eats…it’s still on the top of my bucket list!
This gluten free focaccia bread is so easy to make you won’t believe it. Topped with sliced tomatoes, garlic, and aroma-filled herbs. Great for hosting!
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP active dry yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP ground flax
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons each of: rosemary, thyme, and basil
- pinch of raw sugar
- 4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium tomato, sliced for topping
- a dusting of GF cornmeal
- Turn on the oven briefly- just to warm it; then turn it off.
- Whisk together the flour, sea salt, garlic, flax, and herbs in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, proof the yeast in warm water and pinch of sugar.
- When the yeast is poofy, pour the mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Next, add the olive oil, honey, lemon juice, and egg. (use egg replacer to make vegan)
- Stir well to combine mixture into a sticky dough.
- Scoop the dough into a 9-inch cake pan dusted with cornmeal.
- Using wet hands pat and shape the dough into a round loaf.
- Top the loaf with sliced tomatoes and fresh garlic; sprinkle with extra herbs, if you like, and a little coarse sea salt.
- Place the pan into the warm oven and allow it to rest and rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF after the bread has risen.
- Once the oven is at 375º, set timer for 20 minutes.
- Bake until loaf is golden and firm- anywhere from 25 to 35 minutes.
- When you thump it, it should sound hollow.
- Remove from the pan as soon as you can handle it, and cool on a wire rack.
- Slice with a sharp bread knife.
- Category: Bread