Brazilian Cheesy Bread Balls
Naturally gluten-free, and topped with the oh-so-famous Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning. Brazilian Cheese balls, AKA Pão de Queijo, are pillowy, warm, and have a light, yet super cheesy flavor!
Soft, fluffy, cheesy bread balls! Naturally gluten-free, and so much fun to make. A perfect & delicious side for a balanced dinner! I love pairing these with Baked salmon and a side salad. YUM!
- 1/2 cup ghee or butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 2 eggs, at room temp
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 TBSP+ Everything but the Bagel Seasoning (Trader Joes)
- 1 tsp garlic powder, optional
- 1 tsp italian herbs, optional
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line two baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Add your milk, water, butter or ghee, and apple cider vinedar to a small sauce pot. Heat to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking gently to combine.
- While mixture is heating up, add the arrowroot/tapioca starch and the salt to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Once the milk mixture is heated for about 1 minute, pour the hot milk mixture slowly into the mixing bowl with the arrowroot and salt and mix on low until smooth. It should look sticky and stringy – this is normal.
- Once the dough is close to room temperature, add the eggs in 1 by 1 and mix on medium for about 30 seconds until smooth and thick.
- Add the parmesan cheese and beat mixture just until combined.
- Add oil to hands to prevent mixture from sticking to you. One by one, scoop out a bite-sized ball of dough and roll between your palms to make a smooth, round ball. Place the ball onto the baking sheet. Repeat for all dough and space them about an inch apart.
- Sprinkle top of each ball with Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, italian herbs, and extra garlic powder if desired.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden and puffy.
Keywords: cheese bread balls, brazilian cheesy balls, gluten free cheese bread
These Gluten-Free Brazilian Cheesy Bread Balls (with Everything but the Bagel Seasoning!) were made with parmesan cheese, but feel free to try different variations!I love these as a simple dinner side staple. We often have baked salmon, a big veggie-packed salad, and these cheese balls on the side. A perfectly balanced meal that leaves us feeling good AND satisfied.
When it comes to having a healthy relationship to food, it’s important to make room for everyday foods (nourishing foods that make our bodies feel good, give us important nutrients, etc.) , but also FUN foods, too! We CAN eat just because we enjoy a food! Our diet-obsessed culture typically views foods like these as”bad”, but I’m here to tell you – ALL foods can fit into a healthy eating pattern. You don’t need to go 100% vegan, 100% dairy-free, 100% sugar-free, or low-carb – and quite honestly, that can often times make your relationship to food much worse and make you LESS healthy. The more we restrict, tell ourselves a food is “bad”, or avoid it, the more power you are giving that food. Eventually, if you’re “cutting out” a favorite food of yours, we know that the pendulum often swings in the other direction – resulting in overeating and binge eating. Balance is important, and healthy eating is all about what you’re doing most of the time, so you don’t have to be perfect! (Who wants to be perfect anyways? BORING!)