We hosted a back-to-law-school BBQ for my fiance last night at our house, and naturally I had to make every Southerner’s favorite side dish to go with his pulled pork…coleslaw! This coleslaw is delicious, and has a lighter spin on it.
I used my favorite healthier Mayo by Chosen Foods, which uses Avocado oil in place of the usual soybean oil, so it contains more omega 3s (higher in monounsaturated fat) and less polyunsaturated fat.Print
This classic dish is made healthier by swapping out regular mayo for my favorite Mayo brand…Chosen Foods! Made with avocado oil for healthier unsaturated fats. The secret ingredient to my coleslaw? Fennel! Fennel adds a distinct and delicious fresh flavor. This dish is packed with fiber, vitamin A, vitamin K, and more.
- 1 head of green or purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 sweet white onion
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped and sliced
- 1.5 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 each sea salt and pepper, to taste (more if desired)
- Wash and prep veggies and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add the mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey, mustard, celery seed, salt, and pepper and stir until mixed well.
- Pour dressing over sliced veggies and stir. Toss to coat. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Enjoy! Great for preparing ahead of time. Store in fridge up to 12 hours in advance before serving.
I also really love fennel in this recipe. We got a Sunbasket recipe one week with fennel in it (which I surprisingly had never really eaten!) and fell in love with it as an ingredient in coleslaw. I can’t make coleslaw without it now!