A delicious balance of quinoa, feta, mixed greens, roasted root veggies, and poached chicken.
Meal prepping can be as simple as this recipe – making 3 staples to use through the week. In this case, we have poached chicken, roasted veggies (let the oven do the work), and quinoa (done in under 15). You can use it all as one meal like these bowls, or use them in a variety of ways throughout the week! Prepping or planning for the week ahead doesn’t need to be stressful, rigid, or complicated.
Need a delicious, flavorful lunch meal prep idea? Make these balanced lunches in under an hour – to eat nourishing meals all week long! A mix of quinoa, leafy greens, feta cheese, roasted root veggies, and poached chicken. Delicious!
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large shallot, halved
- 3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme and oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Roasted Root Vegetables:
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 beets
- 1 red onion
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each of: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (made from 1 cup uncooked)
- mixed greens
- feta cheese
- Italian dressing for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Chop vegetables into 1/2″ thick wedges or half moons. Add to baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with herbs and seasonings. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, add all chicken ingredients to a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer; cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat reads 165 degrees F, or ~25 to 30 minutes.
- While chicken and veggies are also cooking, cook quinoa. Add 1 cup uncooked quinoa to 2 cups water in a saucepan. Heat to boiling, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and you can fluff with a fork.
- Once chicken is done, let cool and slice thinly. Once quinoa and veggies have also finished and cooled, divide veggies and quinoa among 5 bowls. Add a handful of mixed greens to each container, and top with divided chicken. Sprinkle each with feta.
- Once ready to eat, reheat and drizzle with a little italian dressing or olive oil and enjoy!
These keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container to be enjoyed quickly on the go all week long!