Try this Miso Tofu with Spring Vegetables and Pan-Fried Polenta Cakes – even the meat lovers in your family will be asking for seconds! Packed with umami from miso and mushrooms, and all put together in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 package (18oz) precooked polenta (such as this brand)
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame (or 1 12oz package)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup wild mushrooms
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2 TBSP olive oil
For the tofu sauce:
2 TBSP coconut aminos or tamari
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp white miso paste
1 Tbsp cashew butter (or any nut butter on hand)
1 Tsp olive oil
dash of hot water to thin, start with just 1 tsp
- Chop mushrooms and get vegetables ready. Drain your package of tofu, wrap tofu in paper towels, and let’s sit under a heavy pan to let any water seep out (for about 10 minutes).
- Add mushrooms to a large sauté pan with olive oil. Sauté mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and a half a teaspoon of garlic powder. Let cook for about 3 minutes until soft, then add in frozen edamame and frozen peas, add any extra seasonings as desired and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes or so. Add 1tsp of tamari towards the end and cook for another minute or two.
- Once tofu has finished pressing, cut into bize-sized cubes. Add 1 TBSP olive oil to pan, and add tofu. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook on medium high for about 3 minutes (don’t toss yet!). Sprinkle top of tofu with 1 tsp arrowroot powder, then flip and cook for additional 3 minutes. Top alternate side with additional arrowroot and flip one last time.
- While tofu is cooking, start the polenta and sauce. Slice precooked polenta into very very thin slices (~1/3-1/2″ slices). Add olive oil to a new sauté pan and heat to medium high heat. Add polenta slices to pan and pan-fry each side about a minute or two until crust is golden brown. You may need to repeat to get desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste (extra salt if you like them salty). Set aside to cool.
- Next, mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until well blended. Add sauce to pan with tofu once cooked and toss to coat evenly. Cook tofu for ~1 additional minute with the sauce.
- Add veggies, polenta cakes, and tofu to a plate and devour!
- Category: Entree
Keywords: tofu polenta, vegetarian tofu