These healthier dessert bars are simple to make, and will be gone in a flash! The perfect alternative to a traditional sugar-loaded pecan pie. Made with a grain-free crust, and coconut oil in place of butter. Gluten Free and Vegan!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (mix 2 tbsp ground flax with 5 tbsp water, let gel in fridge for 30m to 1 hr)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3–4 tbsp date syrup (The Date Lady brand is great!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line square 8″ x 8″ baking dish with parchment paper. Grease with coconut oil.
- Prepare flax eggs and place in refrigerator to gel.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together maple syrup and coconut oil. Then add vanilla extract and almond flour, blend until dough is formed.
- Evenly press dough into bottom of greased baking dish. Place dish into oven bake for 10-14 minutes until it turns golden brown.
- While crust cools, chop pecans and set aside.
- Next, add all remaining ingredients (except for ~1/4 of the pecans for topping) into saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute while stirring, then turn heat down, and add in flax eggs, stirring well.
- Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes until gelled.
- Pour filling into crust (once cool), until covered evenly. Top with remaining pecans and additional cinnamon and sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling sets.
- Once finishing baking, let cool in refrigerator overnight or for minimum of 6 hours before cutting into squares.
- Cuisine: Dessert