Five years ago if you told me I’d love tofu in the future, I would have laughed right in your face. Now that I know how to prepare it? IT’S. SO. FREAKING. GOOD. I pop them like candy! It took a few trials and plenty of errors to find the best way to make them so damn delicious, and now I’ve got it down pat. The secret? Getting as much water out of the tofu as best as possible before baking it. True tofu lovers use something called a tofu press, but I’m more old school and rely on my handy paper towels and a textbook.
My favorite way to make tofu is to cut them into bite size pieces, coat them in nutritional yeast, a butt-load of garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, and Bragg’s Organic Sprinkle Seasoning (aka the best pantry staple I ever bought). Then you just roast the heck out of them to get that perfectly crispy, brown exterior and chewy soft interior. BAM! And just like that you’ll be hooked on tofu nuggets.
And add a little zucchini noodles and pasta sauce and you’ve got a perfectly filling meal (due to all the fiber and protein) that’s super easy to make.
This is your go-to recipe for finally making the perfect tofu. This recipe is simple and takes only 30 minutes for a hot, healthy meal to be served. Enjoy this tofu in a variety of ways; in a buddha bowl, in homemade pad thai, as a main protein with various side dishes, or on top zucchini noodles like this recipe here.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 4–5 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- Other seasonings of choice (I used Bragg’s Organic Sprinkle Seasoning…my go-to)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil non-stick spray
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup organic tomato pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove tofu from package and drain water. Press tofu with tofu presser or lay on top paper towels and place paper towel on top with a textbook. Let water drain out and replace paper towels as necessary.
- Once as much water is removed out of tofu as possible, slice in 1-1.5 in. thick slices, then slice again into small cubes.
- Spray large baking sheet with olive oil spray and place tofu nuggets on sheet. (No need to have a lot of space in-between)
- Coat top of tofu pieces with nutritional yeast and all other seasonings. Flip tofu nuggets over and repeat.
- Spray top of tofu nuggets with a bit more olive oil spray then place in oven to bake.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, then flip tofu pieces over and bake on other side for 10-15 minutes again.(for crispier nuggets, bake longer)
- While tofu is cooking, make zucchini noodles using a spiralizer.
- Top zucchini noodles with tomato sauce and either sauté in a pan to heat or simply microwave.
- Once tofu edges are brown and crispy, remove from oven and let cool.
- Top with cooled tofu nuggets and separate into 2 servings.
*Not vegan? Add some parmesan cheese on top for even more pasta-goodness!
- Category: Entree
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 320
A perfectly fiber-packed, nutritious meal! You have got to try making these tofu nuggets…you may start making them all the time!