All hail the king of Caesars!
This caesar salad is packed with antioxidants, fiber, plant-based protein and healthy fats. Using kale as the base, I topped it with my favorite homemade vegan “parmesan” – a simple blend of nutritional yeast, cashews, garlic, and salt – as well as crunchy roasted chickpeas in place of croutons…get ready to dig in to this healthier made-over favorite!
I paired it with my favorite brand of dressing, marinades, mayo – Primal Kitchen – they replace the saturated fat-containing ingredients (i.e. mayo) with healthier fat-containing avocado oil. Win, win!
If you’ve ever made a kale salad before, you may know that the most critical step to the best kale salad is to massage it with a little bit of olive oil. This softens it and breaks it down a it, making it easier to eat and digest. Add a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, and you’re golden!Print
This delicious kale caesar salad is packed with nutrients – fiber, plant-based protein, and healthy fats. Swaps out the typical high-fat caesar dressing and refined flour croutons for healthier options. A crowd-pleasing dish that tastes delicious!
- Kale Salad
- 4 cups raw kale, chopped
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan – see below
- 1–2 TBSP Primal Kitchen Caesar Dressing (or other Caesar dressing) (upon serving)
- Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Vegan Parmesan
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chickpeas (Dry lightly with paper towel) in a medium sized bowl, and cover with seasonings: sea salt, garlic powder, cayenne powder.
- Place chickpeas on baking sheet and roast in oven for 40-45 minutes.
- While chickpeas are roasting, make vegan parmesan by blending all ingredients in a food processor until mixture resembles fine parmesan. Set aside. (Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks).
- Chop kale, add to large bowl, and add olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice and massage into kale until soft.
- Add vegan parmesan to kale salad, top with chickpeas, and serve with caesar dressing. Enjoy!
- Category: Salad
Even my man was shoveling down this salad, which speaks volumes. He loves healthy food, but he’s also a meat and cheese guy. So don’t let the “health” halo of this dish fool you – it tastes incredible!