This delicious recipe from Sunbasket is much simpler to make, and healthier than your typical take-out, but just as (if not more!) delicious! Gluten Free.
- ¾ cup black rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- ¼ ounce Chinese chiles (optional)
- ⅓ cup cashews
- Sun Basket gong bao sauce base (make your own with: gluten-free tamari – sesame oil – fresh garlic – brown sugar – fresh ginger)
Cook the rice
- In a small sauce pot, combine the black rice and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2¼ cups)water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep covered.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and marinate the chicken
1. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken lengthwise into ½-inch-wide slices, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
Prep the vegetables
1. Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
Toast the cashews
Cook the gong bao chicken
2. In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons (2 to 4 tsp) oil until hot but not smoking. Add as many peppercorns and Chinese chiles as you like and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper and scallion pieces, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and discard the chiles, if using. Stir in the cashews and season to taste with salt and pepper.