Ahh… salmon burgers. Delicious, simple, and the perfect staple to make in just 20 minutes to eat all week! The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended to consume at least 2 servings of fish every week (8 oz per week)- fish contains healthful nutrients such as lean protein and essential omega 3 fatty acids – specifically DHA and EPA. The omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA are found in seafood, such as fatty fish (e.g., salmon, tuna, and trout) and shellfish (e.g., crab, mussels, and oysters). A different kind of omega-3, called ALA, is found in other foods, including some vegetable oils (e.g., canola and soy). Why are these omega 3 fatty acids important? Research shows they aid in reducing inflammation and promoting heart health, decreasing the risk of heart disease and stroke. DHA also plays a roll in brain and eye health.
If you find it tough (or expensive) to get in enough seafood each week, consider these simple salmon burgers as they simply use 3 packets of skinless salmon – such as Chicken of the Sea (anyone remember the Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey reality show? HA!). Research shows that omega 3s are beneficial from food form over supplement form, so get your nutrients from food first!Print
These simple salmon burgers are easy to make and a delicious meal prep staple! Give them an extra kick with hot sauce of your choice (I love sriracha!). These take 20 minutes or less to make, and keep well in both the fridge and freezer!
- 3 2.5 oz packets of Chicken of the Sea Salmon (or similar brand)
- 3 whole eggs
- 2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (certified Gluten Free if necessary)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (start small, you may not need all)
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 TBSP avocado or olive oil
- 2 TBSP sriracha sauce or hot sauce (more or less per preference)
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, add salmon, breadcrumbs, all seasonings, garlic, and minced onion together. Mix until blended.
- Next, add remaining wet ingredients to dry mixture: eggs, olive oil, and hot sauce.
- If mixture is too wet, add almond flour as needed. Then form mixture into ~6 patties.
- Heat saute pan to medium high heat and add a touch of olive oil or spray. Add patties one by one and cook ~4-6 minutes per side, flipping once or twice.
- Let cool and enjoy!