I’ve never been a huge zucchini fan, BUT, this recipe is a game changer and is definitely going to become a regular! For all the fellow veggie lovers out there, this one is for you! Spaghetti and meatballs, but with a vegetarian twist – perfect if you’re being mindful of your meat consumption!
Tasty, cheesy, and flavorful, just the way they should be.
I made these gluten free by simply using certified GF breadcrumbs. Don’t need them to be GF/don’t have Celiac? Simply use regular breadcrumbs!
The egg and breadcrumbs bind these nuggets of goodness together.
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 2 cloves garlic, minces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan (can substitute mozzarella!)
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 TBSP olive oil, for frying
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Grate and shred zucchini into a kitchen towel lined bowl. Squeeze zucchini to remove excess water.
- Place zucchini back in bowl and add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and marinara sauce.
- Mix until dough forms. Form into about 1 dozen small meatballs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add meatballs and fry on all sides until brown and heated through, ~8 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from skillet, wipe skillet clean, and add marinara sauce back to skillet.
- Add meatballs to pasta sauce and continue to heat for a few minutes until sauce is heated through.
- Enjoy! Serve with a small serving of brown rice of 100% whole-wheat spaghetti if desired.
These were gone in a day. SO delicious and the perfect way to use my new cast iron skillet for the first time. 😉 My move to South Florida went well and I am loving it! Happy Tuesday XO