Today is Valentines Day, and whether you hate it or love it, we can all LOVE these healthy Valentines treats! These bliss balls are made with simple, wholesome ingredients: raw coconut butter, coconut flour, freshly pressed beet juice, plump medjool dates, cinnamon, and raw cacao powder. YUM!
Who wants to feel bloated on the day of love from eating processed sugar and fat-laden treats? Instead swap them out for this wholesome goodies. Made with love and health. <3
These yummy, bite-sized bliss balls are the perfect healthier treat to indulge in this Valentines day. Filled with heart-healthy ingredients to make sure you enjoy Valentines Day for multiple years to come!
- 1/3 cup coconut flour or rolled oats
- 1/4 cup fresh pressed beet juice
- 2 TBSP raw coconut butter
- 2 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 4–6 fresh medjool dates
- 2 TBSP raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp ashwaganda (optional)
- 2 TBSP raw cacao nibs (optional)
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of sea salt
- dash of stevia (optional)
- In a juicer, freshly press 1 small beet and set aside.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Form into small bite-sized balls and place in refrigerator to set.
What is ashwaganda?
If you noticed one of the ingredients in this recipe called “ashwaganda” and wonder “WTF is that?!” you aren’t alone. Until recently, I hadn’t even heard of ashwaganda. According to an alternative medicine journal, ashwaganda is touted as an adaptogen that works with your body to offer various benefits like…
- “It enhances the function of the brain and nervous system and improves the memory.”
- “It improves the function of the reproductive system promoting a healthy sexual and reproductive balance.”
- “Being a powerful adaptogen, it enhances the body’s resilience to stress.”
- “Ashwagandha improves the body’s defense against disease by improving the cell-mediated immunity.”
- “It also possesses potent antioxidant properties that help protect against cellular damage caused by free radicals.” Article found here.
This study specifically found that ashwaganda significantly reduced stress and reduced depression & anxiety in study participants taking Ashwaganda for 60 days. As the study states, “The findings suggest that high-concentration full-spectrum Ashwagandha root extract improves an individual’s resistance towards stress and thereby improves self-assessed quality of life. High-concentration full-spectrum Ashwagandha root extract can be used safely as an adaptogen in adults who are under stress.”
That’s amazing! Ashwaganda is best in powder form (the brand I use can be found here), so sprinkle a little in smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, bliss balls, and anything else you would add a powdered supplement to. I know personally I definitely deal with stress while working 2 jobs, lack of sleep, and trying to fit it all in (hello, I still have to exercise!) Any chance that I can strengthen my body’s defense against stress is beneficial. More on the amazing things ashwaganda can do for your body here. (PS this is NOT an ad, just showcasing one of my favorite supplements to add to smoothies and yummy raw treats) <3
Happy Valentines Day my loves!